When you’re making a move to a new area, schools might be a deciding factor. Apart from websites that give ratings and scores, an insider’s look can always be helpful. So, I got in contact with all of the schools in the 85383 zip code to help you decide if these schools might offer what your children need! Here’s a sneak peek into the schools that responded back about what their school is like,and their proudest moments as administrators.
West Wing School Bio from Dr. Price-Barry
o Private, Charter, or Public School?
West Wing School is a public school.
o School District
West Wing is located in the Deer Valley Unified School District
o Grades Taught
West Wing School has Kindergarten –Eighth grades
o Specialty Programs
West Wing School has numerous academic and Fine Art programs offered: inclusive gifted programs, STEM, National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), Student Council, Physical Education, Art, Music and Band.
· Your Position: Principal
· How long have you worked here? I opened the school 13 years ago
· What makes your school special? West Wing School is a high achieving school in both academics and fine arts. We offer numerous student programs.
· Is there anything your school is known for (i.e. sports, clubs, school spirit)? We have won many program awards for demonstrating a high level of achievement in band, music and in our sports programs.
· Does your school have any recent awards? Our Principal, Dr. Price-Barry has been named Principal of the Year for the 2016-17 school year. West Wing School has been selected to be a National Community of Practice STEM School.
· What is your proudest moment working at this school? Our proudest moment cannot be defined by one specific event: our students and staff continue to inspire me each day and continue to make me proud!
Lake Pleasant Elementary Bio from Tom Green
o Private, Charter, or Public School?- Public School
o School District- Peoria Unified School District
o Grades Taught- K-8
o Specialty Programs- Special Education, Art, Music, P.E., Choir, Band, CTE (Career and Technical Education)
o Short Intro About You and Your Position- My name is Tom Green, and I am the principal of Lake Pleasant Elementary. I am Davenport, Iowa. I love to travel and hike. I have two adult children, Allison and Chad and three wonderful grandchildren – Luna, Emery and Ezra. My family still resides in Iowa, so I travel to see them frequently! My future dreams include taking my grandchildren to Disney World and traveling to Hawaii and Greece. My favorite quote is “Always assume positive intent.”
· How long have you worked here? 3 years
· What makes your school special? We have a supportive and active parent population.
· Is there anything your school is known for (i.e. sports, clubs, school spirit)? We consistently rank in the top schools for achievement in our district.
· Does your school have any recent awards? A rated school.
· What is your proudest moment working at this school? Watching our staff and community come together to raise money for a staff member’s husband who had been diagnosed with cancer.
Vistancia Bio from Jennifer Kazmar
o Public School
o Peoria Unified School District
o Pre-School-8th Grades Taught
o HEAT (High Educational Achievement Track) Specialty Programs
o Jennifer Kazmar, Principal -4 years at Vistancia
· What makes your school special? Located in the far northwest section of the Peoria Unified School District #11 within the city of Peoria, Arizona, Vistancia Elementary School is a large pre-K through eighth grade elementary school with a current enrollment of 1031. It is in a master-planned community that was designed to provide a unique environment for its residents, who choose to be highly involved with their school and have high expectations for their children.
· Is there anything your school is known for (i.e. sports, clubs, school spirit)? Vistancia Elementary School believes in student involvement and opportunities for extracurricular activities both inside and outside of our school day and therefore offers a variety of clubs, sports, and activities for our students. Our Art Department strives to create a quality educational experience for our students in the area of visual arts, general music, choir, and band. Steel Drums is offered starting in fourth grade. World Language Club is offered to all students.
· National Blue Ribbon School, A+ School of Excellence, A Rated School by the Az Dept. of Ed.
· What is your proudest moment working at this school? Getting to celebrate being named a National Blue Ribbon school with our students, staff, parents, and community members!
This is a short glimpse of what some of the 85383 schools can offer to you and your family. As more schools respond, I will add in further information! Want to get in touch with some of these schools? Let me know!